The Trump campaign said Tuesday evening that its official campaign website was “defaced” after the site was reportedly taken offline briefly earlier in the day.
Images circulated on Twitter of the site, which was apparently hacked and altered to say: “The world has had enough of the fake-news spreaded daily by president donald j trump.”
“It is time to allow the world to know truth,” altered site said, according to images on Twitter. It went on to claim that those responsible for hacking the site “have evidence that completely discredits mr trump as a president.”
The website has since been restored, Tim Murtaugh, communications director for Trump 2020, said in a statement.
“Earlier this evening, the Trump campaign website was defaced and we are working with law enforcement authorities to investigate the source of the attack,” he said. “There was no exposure to sensitive data because none of it is actually stored on the site.”